Friday, June 13, 2008

A Day at the Hospital

My doctor said he liked to keep women at home on bedrest as long as possible before admitting them to the hospital. "At the hospital you get a lot of interruptions and people bothering you". Really....what do you think?

6:30 AM - Resident comes in to see how I am doing. "Are the babies moving, any vision problems, headaches, etc.?" I just woke up, I feel sleepy and that is all I know right now.

7:30 AM - My daytime nurse comes in to take my vitals.

8:15 AM - Nutrition and Food Services comes in with breakfast. I love this lady! She is so sweet and cheerful. I get a lot of "wow, 3 babies", "oh my gosh, how are you going to do it?" but this lady always just smiles and says "What a blessing, you are such a lucky lady!"

8:45 AM- The doctor's come in on their rounds. More of the same..."babies moving, vision changes, etc." This morning I was informed my delivery would be scheduled for 35 weeks if I am still here...yikes!

9:00 AM- Nurse comes in to give me my progesterone shot.

9:15 AM - Food services comes and picks up my meal and drops off morning snack

10:00 AM - Cleaners come in and take out trash

10:45 AM- Nurse checks to see if I need anything, baby heart rates are collected

11:00 AM- Nurse assistant takes my vitals again

11:45 AM - Different cleaner comes in to wash mirrors and floor

12:30 PM - Lunch is here!

12:45 PM- PM Snack is here

1:30 PM- Lunch is taken away by different Food Service employee. I attempt to nap

2:00 PM- Volunteer comes by to see if I want newspaper or magazines

2:30 PM- Nurse assistant comes in to weigh me

2:45 - A lady comes in to check on supplies (gloves, paper towels, etc.)

3:00 PM- Nurse checks on me

3:30 PM- Time for vitals again

4:00 PM- I try to nap again but....

4:15 PM- afternoon nurse comes in to check babies heart rates

4:30 PM - My doctor comes by to check on me.

5:00 PM - I often have outside visitors in the evenings.

5:30 PM - Dinner is here! Max usually arrives around this time

6:00 PM - Nurse checks on me

7:00 PM - Vitals again by nursing assistant

8:00 PM - 11:00 PM - It is usually quite. I watch a little TV and go to bed until....

12:00AM - Night nurse comes in to take my vitals and check babies heart rates.

12:00 AM - 6:00 AM - SLEEP!!!!!!!

The hospital is such a calm, restful, private environment. I don't know what my doctor was talking about.

3 comments:

mary said...

Karla, your sense of humor is as immense as your belly! Seriously, you crack me up. Those babies are going to have a blast with their silly mama once they arrive! Hang in there! oxoxo

Amber said...

Well it seems that if you make it to 35 weeks all of our babies will be around a week or so a part.

reine said...

I agree with Mary. I love your sense of humor and fresh perspective... Best of luck and we can't wait to "meet" those little guys!