Sunday, March 22, 2009

Race Day

I used to run...often and far. Then I got pregnant with triplets and was restricted from running and other physical activity. Then I went on bedrest for about 3 months and gained 70 pounds. This was very hard for me, a personal trainer who can't sit still. Of course it was worth it but getting back in shape has been a tough journey. Running has been by far the hardest to get back into. I take the babies jogging about 3x per week and squeeze in 2 other days of weights and cardio either while the kids nap or after they go to bed. I've accepted that I won't be able to run as far and as fast as I used to until years down the road, when I have the freedom to run 7-12 miles several times a week. I still enjoy running and finally ran my first post-baby 5K race this past weekend with Max and his co-workers. Max took the babies in the triplet jogger and let me run free...no babies attached :) Here are Max and the kids before the race:

The kids had so much fun and were perfect angels. Here is Mia being the silly clown she is:

Here is Marcus and I after the race. The kids opted to take in all the sights and people rather than take their morning nap. Marcus was very sleepy by late morning but still in good spirits.

On another note, we finally got a play yard to use in the backyard and when we take the babies places that aren't baby-proofed. Great concept but here is what the kids do as soon as I put them in it.
I immediately have to pry them off the walls when they realize they are stuck and start to cry. I suppose it is still nice to be able to coral them outdoors.

3 comments:

Jessica Kreitzer said...

Great job, Karla. You guys were probably quite a sight for everyone. Not many people push a triple stroller in these races. I love the kids' sweatbands - very cute!

Anonymous said...

Karla finished 5th in her age group. Not bad for someone who gave birth to triplets 8 months ago!! Congrats, honey!

-Max

Anonymous said...

Karla - You are so impressive! Mine are 8 months as well, and I couldn't imagine trying to run while pushing them in our heavy old stroller! Way to go!