Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Are they natural?

I am obviously beyond hiding my pregnancy. In my job at campus rec I interact with many different people every day. The questions are flooding in. Here are the questions I get and how I handle them:

"I didn't know you were pregnant, when are you due?" - If I do not know the people well and will probably not bump into them again I lie and say late June. If they are people I interact with regularly I will usually tell them mid-August. If anyone knows anything about pregnancy this is usually followed by weird looks since I look closer to 5-6 months along. Therefore, I usually let them know I am expecting triplets this is followed by either
"What, oh my gosh!" - These people's mouths always hang open afterward. They are usually the very uninhibited folks.
"Wow, triplets?" - These people often stare into space afterward looking very confused. It hasn't registered with them yet. I always give them a few more minutes to digest the info. They are the shy, reserved folks.
"Congratulations. Go Max! He has some good swimmers!" These people just have a huge smile on their face afterwards. They are usually the outgoing, fun folks. Of course, I let Max take the glory for this (Secretly I know I am the one that produced 3 eggs :)

Then is the inevitable question, "Are they natural, do twins run in your family?"

To this I will tell general acquaintances that twins do not run in my family that I know of, it was not IVF and this was a complete shock! If I know the people well, I have no problem telling them I did not ovulate and took Clomid to help me ovulate. A lot of people are familiar with drug or know someone who used it and they are still surprised it resulted in triplets. Many people out there have struggled with infertility or know someone who has so they will often share their own stories. Like all women, those that use fertility drugs; whether it be Clomid, injectables, or IVF, to concieve are very proud of their pregnancies and don't feel the need to hide their struggles and success. I know I will be asked about my triplets for years to come so I welcome the questions and conversation.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"These people often stare into space afterward looking very confused. It hasn't registered with them yet. I always give them a few more minutes to digest the info."

Trust me, the reaction is the same for who found out over the internet!!! I'm still staring into space.

MotherOf3Guys said...

I would definitely be in the WOW Oh my gosh! category...then on to the questions...you know my blog title is "This is my question..." and having an OB background makes me curious. Thanks again for keeping us informed!

Grammyx5 said...

Of course they are natural. Gifts from God is my comment.

Love Mom

pam said...

Kills me when people give DH the credit...what about US? Super swimmers indeed. I say Super Eggs!

Unknown said...

Karla! Cara told me the happy news (this is Jess, by the way, you may not recognize me by my email). Congrats! Make sure and let Mike and I know about a baby shower!